Sunday, June 24, 2007

Cymru

It's nearly late on a Sunday night. I have to rise early to begin my final week of temping so I should go to bed. Instead, though, I sit at the computer thinking about the weekend just gone, and smile.

On Friday night I ironed things, watched Muriel's Wedding and sang along to the Abba-studded soundtrack. I cooked, I cleaned, I folded: performing uncharacteristically housewifely duties with only myself to impress.

On Saturday I made my way to Paddington station and boarded the eleven forty-five to Cardiff. A few hours later and I was sitting in a bar in the bay area, contendedly sipping a pint, in the company of this man. It was a warm and sunny day, and I felt warm and sunny myself.

The rest of the weekend passed in a blur of pubs, parties and people. Laughter, words spilling and tumbling out, statues in the park and leaning on railings watching swans slide by and herons carefully place their spindly feet. Cardiff was full of sunshine. I ate two Magnums without a care in the world.

Time flowed by like cool silk and soon I was sitting on the train coming home again. I chatted to the girl sitting opposite me for a while after she had offered me one of her biscuits, but spent most of the journey gazing out of the window, happy to float in hazy daydreams.

I am home again, and it is nearly late. The frustrations of last week seem to have ebbed away and I feel hopeful, and ready to take on the world. Infused with some indescribable knowledge that everything will be alright in the end.

UPDATE: Does anyone know of any good hostels in Lisbon?

10 Comments:

Blogger boohoo said...

Cardiff is always lovely :)

Enjoy Portugal - I went last year and it was beautiful.

10:32 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's two magni, actually.

12:44 pm

 
Blogger Clarissa said...

How's your Welsh?

3:51 pm

 
Blogger Léonie said...

ys - I have only seen it a few times before, and mostly in the dark, but I have to agree with you. And, thanks, I plan to enjoy Portugal very, very much...

Anon - Thank you for enlightening me. I won't make that embarrassing mistake again, thank God.

Clarissa - Um, I can say stuff in a sing song sort of way and draw a convincing dragon. Does that count?

5:26 pm

 
Blogger Kelly said...

I am glad you had such a lovely weekend in Wales, Cardiff is a cool place.

Have a lovely last week temping.....hope your brighter outlook stays with you :o)

5:20 pm

 
Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Am I the only one who's assuming that you and boy are infatuated?! Am I being dolt-ish?

8:22 pm

 
Blogger Léonie said...

DF - "Lovely" is not quite the way the last week of temping is going, but it is going and that is the main thing...

Miss D - Absolutely no comment.

11:05 pm

 
Blogger Mr Farty said...

Oh, she's in lurve! Sweet.

word ver SMENITA - that's the third time today. wtf?

10:51 pm

 
Blogger PSL5 said...

Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium
Multan Stadium

7:36 am

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing post!

Check out Hotstar to stay informed about T20 World Cup 2020 Live Score, live streaming, schedule for free to follow all the actions from this biggest cricket event.

11:27 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home