Friday, August 10, 2007

Tomorrow: Scotland!

Here I sit, in a bikini with a towel wrapped around my head. My eyes are streaming tears and my ears are stained a rich, luxurious brown.

A peculiar combination, you might think.

I am not, however, crying because some miscreant has snuck up and dipped my ears in a small pot of brown ink, nor am I weeping because I have so few clothes on.

No, my eyes are simply reacting to recently having blinked their way through an arduous application of amonia-ridden hair dye, and my ears were the sad recipients of a few splashes of toxic-looking orange gunk, which has now darkened to a deep brown. I carefully used the gloves as instructed by the instructions, but that didn't stop me from getting dye pretty much everywhere else. At one point the bottle of dye slipped out of my hands whilst I was contorting myself to reach a particularly hard-to-get-at bit, and dye went on the walls, shower and on some towels which were sitting innocently by, just minding their own business.

I shouldn't be allowed to take on such projects unsupervised.

My hair has recently turned itself a peculiar shade of reddy-ginger in the sun, so I resolved to at least try to make it look uniform all over before my Edinburgh jaunt. I have used this shade before, and I keep using it because it is two packs for £4.49 at Superdrug. This is what it looked like before:



(I was drunk in that picture, can you tell? Also: is this your car?)

I haven't yet packed, but I have written lots of lists, most of which I have lost. They mainly all say "Shoes. Phone charger. Tea." at which point I get distracted by Facebook or chased by a wasp so I am forced to abandon the list and hang around idly for a bit.

I have had some cards made by my graphic designer-lady friend (not lady-friend, it is not like that) and Euan is updating my website. I have lots of music and a list of places to maybe sing. I am nervous, though, because my friend Lily doesn't come up until next weekend and I will be all alone for a whole week. Despite the fact that actually most of the people I know in the world are up there, I am a little intimidated by the thought of getting there, putting my (mainly shoe-filled) suitcase down, saying "right" in a firm manner and then promptly having no idea what to do next. I'm sure it'll work itself out, but I wouldn't mind having some sort of a plan.

(I have just realized that I didn't actually look to see how long I should leave the dye on for. I should probably check that.)

(Thirty minutes. Ok.)

It is sunny here. I have to pack but I have foolishly put on a bikini which means I am drawn unavoidably to the garden on an alarmingly regular basis. I do like hanging around in my bikini, though, it makes me feel really rather pleased not to have a job.

Oh! My thirty minutes is up, so I must abruptly leave and rid my hair of this noxious yuckiness.

Goodbye, until after Edinburgh! I will update if all my hair has fallen out. I will be crying, but this time the tears will be very, very real.

UPDATE:
(My hair hasn't fallen out!)

I thought I'd post an 'after' picture. I liked it better before, but such is the inherent uncertainty of dying one's hair. Ah well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Devylish said...

Ohmygoodness! I'm first! I love your hair.. very pretty. But then I would like to see a bad picture of you.. I seriously doubt any exist sugar. Have fun in Scotland. Also, I'm going to try to find you on Facebook.

8:21 pm

 
Blogger Will said...

That's what I like to call "film star hair". Well done.

9:58 pm

 
Blogger boohoo said...

Lol, glad to hear I'm not the only one who ends up dying the bathroom walls/towels/ etc. when dying my hair ;)

You look very pretty in your pictures - hair looks great!

10:13 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are breathtakingly gorgeous.

10:30 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home